For evaluating production and environmental efficiency of cage aquaculture in Lake Sevan there was implemented the pilot project (15.08.2012-15.08.2014).
The main objective of the pilot phase is to evaluate fish (Gegharkuni and Summer Trout) farm possibilities in Lake Sevan with contribution to cage technologies, and for what it is important to evaluate economic efficiency and environmental impact on the ecosystem of the Lake.
The pilot phase is implemented by “Sevan National Park” SNCO and “Emy Fruit” Ltd. The investor is “Emy Fruit” Ltd.
The project patners are.
- “Armenian Harvest Promotion Center”CJSC –project management
- “NC Consulting”ApS –project adviser
- “Biomar Group”–fish feed supplier
- “Hvalsund Net” A/S – equipment supplier, installation
- “Bureau Veritas” S.A. – quality, safety and environmental standards
- “Clima Design” – monitoring equipment supplier
- “Unifish” Ltd, “Arevadzuk” Ltd–fingerling suppliers
- “Shushan and Shahnur”Ltd–construction and installation
On August 2012 for the implementation of the project In Lake Sevan near the Shorja village there was installed 4 cages (each has: diameter- 16m, depth- 8m, capacity- about 50 ton). Since 15 August to October 2012 from fish farms have been bought and transferred to cage farms about 190 000 fingerlings of Gegharkuni and Summer Trout.
In order to assess the impact of the project on the Lake environment there have been selected 4 monitoring stations, where were estimated about 31 indicators aggregated in 3 groups (hydro-physical and hydro-chemical, bacteriological and microbiological, fish farming ).
The monitoring have been done by these companies.
- “Sevan National Park” SNCO
- Scientific Center of Zoology and Hydroecology- Institute of Hydroecology and Ichthyology, NAS, RA
- “Environmental Effect Monitoring Center” SNCO
- “NC Consulting”ApS
The monitoring results allow us to state that there wasn’t any negative impact on the ecosystem of the Lake, exposed to such exceedance, the farm production indicators are positive and consistent with the predicted dynamic plan.
So, in Lake Sevan breeding of Sevan Trout with cage technologies from economic perspective is positive and competitive, and from environmental perspective is safety in case of efficient management of possible risks.